an online word depository

Monday, August 10, 2009

Ill Improv

I suppose I have taken the "weekend" off from writing. I have spent the past couple of days on an international pen pal website compulsively reading the profiles. I could not stop myself. I do not know why, but it may have something to do with the cabin fever.

The cabin fever has crept outside my head and is making the rest of me feel ill. I feel weak, I feel thirsty and slow, my head is spinning and I am slow to think. My head is pounding and I feel like I could die at any minute.

Now is the perfect time for writing.

I am going to improvise, I have absolutely no idea what I am about to write and the odds are in favor of it being awful, but perhaps I can learn something from it GO!

A scrawny man sprinted down main street and flailed his arms and screamed some unintelligible words. The townspeople have never seen such a sight, many were alarmed by his actions. They looked from afar and opted not to try to communicate with him as he ran in a panicked state through the street. Someone had called the sheriff's office, and a deputy arrived in time to intercept the man who was running towards him.

The deputy saw the man and knew that he was scared. He waved at the man and told him to calm down. The panicked man stopped and turned towards the sheriff and then started to gasp for air. The deputy waited for a word from the man, but he kept breathing as if he had forgotten to the entire length of the road. The sheriff asked "Alright now, what with the hurry? Where's the fire?" The panicked man looked up at the sheriff and began to sob. "Ih lus, ih tu powfuh, no mah no, NO MAH NO!" the panicked man began to panic once again and he took off running. The deputy was slow to the draw and missed his chance to grab the man, so he got his car and called the dispatcher on his radio.

"TABBY! I'm in pursuit of..." Tabby interrupted the sheriff, "SHOOT IT! SHOO-" and the died and there was only static. The deputy tried to call the dispatcher back but nobody from the other end would respond. As the banged on the radio the townspeople began to run in the same direction as the panicked man. The ground began to shake and the wind became strong. As the sky darkened the deputy turned to notice that people were fleeing, and then he saw what they were running from.

In the middle of the day the sky was turned black and there were no birds or planes or stars to be seen. The sun was retreating behind the dark sky and all the clean air was pulled towards a clouded figure on the horizon. The earth shook and and the trees began to bend away from the shadows that crept towards the town. The deputy wanted to leave, but he also knew that whatever was coming would be there soon, and he wanted to know what it was. He reached into his car, pulled out the loaded shot gun in the front seat, cocked it, and waited.

An incredible sound blasted through the air and shattered glass from the buildings and the deputy's squad car. The air became thin and the shadows quickened their haste towards the town. The deputy began to say the lord's prayer, but stopped when the shadows coming into the town began to flash with millions of images that crawled over one another. The deputy's mind began to muddle; memories vanished, his vocabulary was broken apart and he suddenly had the urge to fire his weapon for no reason other than to hear the "boom" sound it made. The thing was coming. Wherever it went minds and lives were lost. It wanted to destroy reality. It wanted to drain the world of all it's beauty. The earth dies behind this thing, this dreadful and unmerciful monster.

The internet had escaped.

And someone I want to talk to has just appeared, so I'm off.

No comments:

Post a Comment